SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
got a new wd black 4tb
much oversized, i just needed a 2tb. but i'll take the capacity.
now just a matter of moving data
1000016699.jpg

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
not too shabby
i'd keep that psu
haters gonna hate, but if you were getting okay temps on that stock cooler, no need to change

Lovecraft

Dramacrat
Picked up some barely used industrial DIN rail mounted PoE+ managed mini switches for a pittance, minus power supplies. Now I just need to source the weird interlocking power connector they require and some generic 57V PSUs

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
Old is right. X58 chipset is like 15-16 years old by this point.
it's almost 15
hard to believe it's that old
but can't remember what he had in there, probably an i3 which is going to bottleneck that poor 1070

on a side note, seriously thinking whether to move completely to virtualize my home server, the host 10900T has been exceedingly good
rn it's a 50/50 in terms of the host and vms handling services.

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
yeah, for most use stock is fine, even for the typical streamer. gpu or cpu.
most people aren't going to push the cpu to where it needs a full delidded, liquid-metal fucking strapped right to the evap coil of a commercial A/C unit, level of overclocking.

as for me, i have to custom cool because,
I want to underclock. so no included cooler.
Get's real hot in the summer.

Lovecraft

Dramacrat
yeah, for most use stock is fine, even for the typical streamer. gpu or cpu.
most people aren't going to push the cpu to where it needs a full delidded, liquid-metal fucking strapped right to the evap coil of a commercial A/C unit, level of overclocking.

as for me, i have to custom cool because,
I want to underclock. so no included cooler.
Get's real hot in the summer.
Uhh.
Underclocked and/or undervolted should be cooler overall.
I run an Intel 10700 undervolted at stock frequencies with passive heatsink on the cpu and only an exhaust fan in the chassis and it never hits thermal throttling thresholds.

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
yeah i know
i was trying to hint that i bought a k series cpu just to underclock, and k series don't come with stock coolers

Lovecraft

Dramacrat
yeah i know
i was trying to hint that i bought a k series cpu just to underclock, and k series don't come with stock coolers
Last couple I bought did though, because that is an option.
Tray or boxed with fan SKUs, the latter has always been the cheaper consumer option here despite the part cost logically being higher.

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
Last couple I bought did though, because that is an option.
Tray or boxed with fan SKUs, the latter has always been the cheaper consumer option here despite the part cost logically being higher.
True

But yeah last time I bought a CPU was a 9700K, which didn't ship with a cooler. Sucked, but that's what I get for buying Intel.
Really want my next build to be AMD, threadripper would be very nice for what I do.

ZZZandeRRR

Semi-Pro Retard
it's almost 15
hard to believe it's that old
but can't remember what he had in there, probably an i3 which is going to bottleneck that poor 1070

on a side note, seriously thinking whether to move completely to virtualize my home server, the host 10900T has been exceedingly good
rn it's a 50/50 in terms of the host and vms handling services.
I should have said, it's an i7-920.

ZZZandeRRR

Semi-Pro Retard
I should have said, it's an i7-920.
My dad's considering buying my pc off of me for around 650, since that's the share I paid for it. I might use that money to upgrade my old rig.
i7-990 Extreme Edition
A proper AIO
Some new DDR3 ram sticks, push it all the way to 48gb
Either that, or I'll just save a bit more of my money and completely refurbish the entire thing.

Lovecraft

Dramacrat
My dad's considering buying my pc off of me for around 650, since that's the share I paid for it. I might use that money to upgrade my old rig.
i7-990 Extreme Edition
A proper AIO
Some new DDR3 ram sticks, push it all the way to 48gb
Either that, or I'll just save a bit more of my money and completely refurbish the entire thing.
Lol, yeah no, don't do that.
Save up some more moolah and build yourself an entry level modern rig, and it'll run circles around this ancient clunker.
Bottlenecking yourself with PCIe 2.0 and DDR3 in 2024 is okay if you're constrained to running at less than ten watts in the volume of a cigarette package at a total budget of less than a hundred bucks, but not for a desktop.

ZZZandeRRR

Semi-Pro Retard
Lol, yeah no, don't do that.
Save up some more moolah and build yourself an entry level modern rig, and it'll run circles around this ancient clunker.
Bottlenecking yourself with PCIe 2.0 and DDR3 in 2024 is okay if you're constrained to running at less than ten watts in the volume of a cigarette package at a total budget of less than a hundred bucks, but not for a desktop.
Yeah. My original game plan was to save up two grand and build a rig with the following specs
Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32gb ram
RTX 4070 Ti SUPER
2TB M.2 for vidya (I like it when my games load fast)
1TB M.2 for the necessary operating systems
1000w psu
Corsair 4000D Airflow
I was going to use cooler master for the aio and fans. I already have a three pack of fans lying around that I can't use because they don't fit in my shitty prebuilt.
1000009444.jpg

Back
Top Bottom