dropdatwat

Leonardo dank Vinci
EDF2 Survivor
My dad's considering buying my pc off of me for around 650, since that's the share I paid for it. I might use that money to upgrade my old rig.
i7-990 Extreme Edition
A proper AIO
Some new DDR3 ram sticks, push it all the way to 48gb
Either that, or I'll just save a bit more of my money and completely refurbish the entire thing.
you know, up until this post i actually thought you were one of the rare alphoomers more competent with tech than their grandparents

ZZZandeRRR

Semi-Pro Retard
1000009445.jpg

A drawing I whipped up a couple of months ago. I tried to visualize the final product. I'm hindsight, I'll probably forgo the airhead strip RGB cables.
1720375694139.png

Lovecraft

Dramacrat
Yeah. My original game plan was to save up two grand and build a rig with the following specs
Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32gb ram
RTX 4070 Ti SUPER
2TB M.2 for vidya (I like it when my games load fast)
1TB M.2 for the necessary operating systems
1000w psu
Corsair 4000D Airflow
I was going to use cooler master for the aio and fans. I already have a three pack of fans lying around that I can't use because they don't fit in my shitty prebuilt.
View attachment 16854
Sounds like a plan.
Thing is that the market is stupidly volatile right now so consider that when you decide to go for it.
RAM and NAND prices are currently increasing due to the AI hype bubble, so when you are ready to buy prices might have increased by 50% or so. Some wiggleroom is adviced either for when you invest or for how much you can afford to spit in the pot. Paying extra for shiny lights is a waste.

dropdatwat

Leonardo dank Vinci
EDF2 Survivor

weedville

Ediot
ngl you're based for someone zander's age. you deserve a pc that can at least run the most accurate retroarch cores at full speed :(
All I need it to do is play games when I feel like it (been rarely lately, not too much of a gaymer), code html, and be able to make music.
Don't see the point in extra bullshit that will only set me back lots of money I could use for something like music projects or to save.

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
i am genuinely surprised that pavilion is still alive
hp is meh, but that era of HP was exceptionally shit.

Likeicare

Dramacrat
Janny
HPs business entirely revolves around the professional/business space

Their consumer products are an afterthought just so they still have a presence in the market

dropdatwat

Leonardo dank Vinci
EDF2 Survivor
i had maybe that exact laptop as a tween handed down from my dad. piece of shit couldn't run simcity 4 for more than a couple hours before freezing

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
HPs business entirely revolves around the professional/business space

Their consumer products are an afterthought just so they still have a presence in the market
yeah their business laptops can take a royal beating. i had an x2 612, pretty mediocre but very sturdy and felt well-made.
now hp(E) on the other hand, only thing I ever bought from them was an integrity during a sperg-out. if i chuck it out of a 2 storey window, scavenge the guts and plug it in it'll probably still work. minus the 10K scuzzy drives.

otherwise, computer stuff i just bought, well looking to get into the "smart home" bandwagon. got an old embedded board to load home assistant onto.
some-random-shit.png

old enough to be older than most users on this board, but young enough to have UEFI. Also bought a "matter" compliant smart switch(not pictured) to give this setup a try.

Yeah, that board is too slow for Home Assistant. Tried 4 times over two hours.
dontwerk.png

Last edited:

Lovecraft

Dramacrat
yeah their business laptops can take a royal beating. i had an x2 612, pretty mediocre but very sturdy and felt well-made.
now hp(E) on the other hand, only thing I ever bought from them was an integrity during a sperg-out. if i chuck it out of a 2 storey window, scavenge the guts and plug it in it'll probably still work. minus the 10K scuzzy drives.

otherwise, computer stuff i just bought, well looking to get into the "smart home" bandwagon. got an old embedded board to load home assistant onto.
View attachment 17174
old enough to be older than most users on this board, but young enough to have UEFI. Also bought a "matter" compliant smart switch(not pictured) to give this setup a try.

Yeah, that board is too slow for Home Assistant. Tried 4 times over two hours.
View attachment 17177
Should be enough power on just about anything not ancient as HA runs fine on a RPi3.
Also Ewww, Netgear.
They and TP Link are notorious for both having weaknesses in their firmware on anything "smart" and dropping support at the drop of a hat.
Edut: D-Link is also pretty rubbish in this regard.

Last edited:

SuperChungus

That'll hold 'em awight
I plan to have the whole setup offline, but the netgear already has CFW so I'm not concerned there.
It was supposed to have been tossed out, when I got a new router but last-minute decided to use it for HA stuff.

EDIT:
@Lovecraft turns out the reason HA didn't want to start is it needs an internet connection the first time you start it. It works perfectly fine now.
Ditched the netgear, it wouldn't allow the light switch to connect. But on my main router, it works great.
That being said, for those mesh routers who's a good choice? You mentioned three to avoid. Budget is up to 200USD, 1500ft range is acceptable.

Last edited:

dropdatwat

Leonardo dank Vinci
EDF2 Survivor
>tfw getting ps5 pro and 5090 this fall/winter and there's nothing @Sneed can do about it
:dankpepe:

dropdatwat

Leonardo dank Vinci
EDF2 Survivor
How's the Intel doing, by the way? :dogkek:
tbf the benchmarks available at the time i was buying suggested the 14900k had less severe dips

Back
Top Bottom