Raddy

Healer's Fist
EDF2 Survivor
@Baka if you like your current gig and they do tuition reimbursement see if they will send you to school. LPNs top out at like 55/hr so its not the highest paying position in nursing but you will have steady income and benefits. LPN programs typically take 18 months to complete and are designed for ppl where English isn't their first language so you could probably do fine.

The DUI isn't a huge hindrance if you've kept out of trouble. If you apply to school and get accepted, be up front with the ppl running the program. They can petition the PA BON to let you sit for your boards if you prove you completed a DUI 0rogrram and haven't re-offended.

Baka

Ediot
Bureaucrat
@Baka if you like your current gig and they do tuition reimbursement see if they will send you to school. LPNs top out at like 55/hr so its not the highest paying position in nursing but you will have steady income and benefits. LPN programs typically take 18 months to complete and are designed for ppl where English isn't their first language so you could probably do fine.

The DUI isn't a huge hindrance if you've kept out of trouble. If you apply to school and get accepted, be up front with the ppl running the program. They can petition the PA BON to let you sit for your boards if you prove you completed a DUI 0rogrram and haven't re-offended.
Thanks! I've heard they're starting to phase out LPNs at a lot of hospitals now. Is this true?

I don't think I could do direct care again tbh. It really takes a special type of person to do that.

Especially at nursing homes, OMG that is the toughest shit.

Wil suggested becoming a lab tech,which I've been thinking on

Baka

Ediot
Bureaucrat
There is a shitton of jobs which you could do, but would you do them? Would you want to do them. They pay well but you won't be getting midrange career pay right off the bat. You'll start at 9-10-11/hr and move to 15hr at five-7 years. Do you have that sort of patience? Or do you think you deserve mid career pay just because you have a natural born :vagina:? If you want to game the system then office work it is -- you'll start at 18-25K per year but thems the breaks. You'll top at about 55-70K (depending on the market) if you do no additional education and manage not to get fired and do an AVERAGE job. Many trade school jobs offer apprentice programs so they'll pay you to learn, but you need to pass and not be a fuckhead, and realize that as soon as you start, people are making mental notes about you and what kind of person you would be like to work with. Pro tip: Humorless bitchy cunts are not well received.

First thing you must decide is what environment you want to work in. Do you like being outside? or is AC in the summer vital? Hell you could be one of those road STOP/SLOW road sign holders and make 10-12/hr. But can you stand on your feet for 8+hrs a day? I mean a DUI is a hinderance, but the biggest hindrance is you letting it interfere with your advancement. If you hold it up and say it's the reason you can't get a job, then you're fucked DUI or not.

If you want to skip the basic levels and start at more of mid-level job and salary then college education is the way to go.

@Likeicare in America and most of the educated west, the education requirement shows the potential employer that this person made an effort. Unlike Australia which it appears that just not being abo and able to show up sober 2 days a month will qualify you for a spot on the Board of Directors in a week.
I make 13/hr at my job rn and its in walking distance. No reason to be a sign holder.

I thought about trades. And i am in fact not bitchy at all at work

Raddy

Healer's Fist
EDF2 Survivor
Thanks! I've heard they're starting to phase out LPNs at a lot of hospitals now. Is this true?

I don't think I could do direct care again tbh. It really takes a special type of person to do that.

Especially at nursing homes, OMG that is the toughest shit.

Wil suggested becoming a lab tech,which I've been thinking on
Hospitals, yes they are phasing out LPNs. Their scope isn't the same as an RN so they don't fit well. However, nursing homes, clinics n doc offices love them. They can do what an RN does there, but they're cheaper. You don't usually do IVs or administer narcs in those places so that's why.

Lab tech is hard to break in to. Usually you start out as a plebotomist in house n do all the sticks scheduled on the floors n work your way up to running tests as you complete courses and usually they want at least an associates degree in a field similar to it b4 you can start running the tests.

Baka

Ediot
Bureaucrat
Hospitals, yes they are phasing out LPNs. Their scope isn't the same as an RN so they don't fit well. However, nursing homes, clinics n doc offices love them. They can do what an RN does there, but they're cheaper. You don't usually do IVs or administer narcs in those places so that's why.

Lab tech is hard to break in to. Usually you start out as a plebotomist in house n do all the sticks scheduled on the floors n work your way up to running tests as you complete courses and usually they want at least an associates degree in a field similar to it b4 you can start running the tests.
Thats the issue i keep running into.

Whenever I look into something, I always hear its hard to break into.

I've entertained getting a phlebotomy cert actually. But then i see average pay for it around here and its like 13.

Raddy

Healer's Fist
EDF2 Survivor
Thats the issue i keep running into.

Whenever I look into something, I always hear its hard to break into.

I've entertained getting a phlebotomy cert actually. But then i see average pay for it around here and its like 13.
Everything is hard to break in to. When I started Healthcare 12 years ago, I was told I'd never get in to a hospital unless I had experience. I paid for and got my CNA, applied to every hospital in the area n got told to fuck off (nicely) until I had experience in direct pt care.

So I got a job at a terrible state subsidized nursing home, waited exactly a year (where I wanted to throw myself off of a bridge) then reapplied. Got a call back within 2 days. Rest is history.

Moral is, you gotta be too stubborn to quit. It's hard to know exactly what you want but a general idea helps, then be persistently annoying until someone says fuck it and hires you.

If you wanna do the lab tech route, you can make good money if you advance yourself and get into path labs n etc. Your best bet is to take some basic bitch science classes at a community College to show interest in the field. Applying to local hospitals is a start, you can look into your stick certs too, its an easy course. Out patient labs may be a better option like Quest.

Raddy

Healer's Fist
EDF2 Survivor
Also don't be afraid to start at the bottom and work hard to climb up. I started as an ass scrubber at the nursing home. My pt to aid ratio was horrible (17 to one aid all full care, most were hoyers out of bed) and that impressed my interviewer at the hospital.

Be flexibly driven though. If one thing isn't your jam or one job sucks balls, try a slightly different route.

Baka

Ediot
Bureaucrat
Everything is hard to break in to. When I started Healthcare 12 years ago, I was told I'd never get in to a hospital unless I had experience. I paid for and got my CNA, applied to every hospital in the area n got told to fuck off (nicely) until I had experience in direct pt care.

So I got a job at a terrible state subsidized nursing home, waited exactly a year (where I wanted to throw myself off of a bridge) then reapplied. Got a call back within 2 days. Rest is history.

Moral is, you gotta be too stubborn to quit. It's hard to know exactly what you want but a general idea helps, then be persistently annoying until someone says fuck it and hires you.

If you wanna do the lab tech route, you can make good money if you advance yourself and get into path labs n etc. Your best bet is to take some basic bitch science classes at a community College to show interest in the field. Applying to local hospitals is a start, you can look into your stick certs too, its an easy course. Out patient labs may be a better option like Quest.
Place near me offers a phlebotomy course for like 900,so not bad. I'll probably start there if nothing else works out.
I just can't believe they pay like 13 on average to start. Its nuts

Raddy

Healer's Fist
EDF2 Survivor
Place near me offers a phlebotomy course for like 900,so not bad. I'll probably start there if nothing else works out.
I just can't believe they pay like 13 on average to start. Its nuts
Do that, it's a good way to break in to it. Plus being in school n being exposed to the content will help you decide which field or pathway you wanna take. Alot of those career minded places (like trade schools and community colleges) realize you are doing it for a future and want a good job. They help with placement after you complete the course and will even help you with interviews and resume writing and cover letters. All musts if u wanna look professional.

My old community College back east still calls me to make sure I'm happy where I'm at n recommends other places and assistance with interviews. This type of stuff sounds dumb af but it makes the process seem less daunting.

Baka

Ediot
Bureaucrat
Do that, it's a good way to break in to it. Plus being in school n being exposed to the content will help you decide which field or pathway you wanna take. Alot of those career minded places (like trade schools and community colleges) realize you are doing it for a future and want a good job. They help with placement after you complete the course and will even help you with interviews and resume writing and cover letters. All musts if u wanna look professional.

My old community College back east still calls me to make sure I'm happy where I'm at n recommends other places and assistance with interviews. This type of stuff sounds dumb af but it makes the process seem less daunting.
Community colleges are great. I regret not looking into them for like the year i was a NEET lol

mitzi

definitely not a virgin
Garbagewoman.

Call Me Tim

Dramacrat
I make 13/hr at my job rn and its in walking distance. No reason to be a sign holder.

I thought about trades. And i am in fact not bitchy at all at work
Then why haven't you put some money aside to have your record expunged? What the living fuck are you doing?

Back
Top Bottom